Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Farewell Lt. Pumpkin

Lt. Pumpkin, our cat, moved out tonight. It has been inevitable ever since Ramona was born. He is not a fan of Ramona. He especially hates it when she cries and interrupts his nap. But don't worry about Pumpkin, he has moved in with our friends, Austin and Kirsten. (Thank you so much, by the way!) So, are you wondering what the final straw was? MICE! I guess Pumpkin has been feeling a little ignored lately, so he started bringing home gifts. LIVE gifts and setting them loose in the house. Now, I previously mentioned that Chris was out of town. So who had to catch and get rid of the mice? ME! That is so not in my job description. Here's how it went down:

Mouse #1 (6:00 a.m.)—I chase him around the house, following closely behind Pumpkin, and finally corner the little guy behind the toilet. Then as quickly as possible I trap him in a Christmas popcorn tin and set him free out side near the neighbor's yard. I quickly throw on some clothes and take the baby to Wal-mart to buy 16 glue traps.

Mouse #2 (4:30 a.m.)—Pumpkin has a mouse cornered behind the kitchen trash can, which is where I placed one of the glue traps. So the mouse is stuck and PISSED. Long story short, we have a mouse dying a slow death in our outside trash can. I felt bad putting him in there, but what was I supposed to do!?! Maybe he chewed himself free.

And then, of course, Pumpkin hobbled into my room a couple hours later with a glue trap stuck to his leg. So, I put him in the outside trash can too...Just kidding. I pulled it off and sent him on his way.

He remembers when he was our baby.

So handsome!

Lt. Pumpkin, you will be missed.

5 comments:

Lauren said...

OH NO! Pumpkin! That's sad Mandy. I guess a good mom will always choose their baby over a cat though...Tell Pumpkin that Ellie is pissed that he hasn't called her with his new address. She says that they're through!

Miranda and Roger said...

Farewell Lt. Pumpkin. We'll miss your stories.

Alyssa G said...

Oh you of tiny kitty thumbs! You will be missed!

Anonymous said...

Poor choice Chalmans. Babies come and go, but a cat who can pick up mice because he has THUMBS... thats a keeper.

-The Vanland

Anonymous said...

Fear not all, the adventures of Pumpkin are alive and well at the Borands. Score thus far:
The Lt:20
Borands: -pie

KK