Thursday, May 5, 2011

Coconut Oil...Who Knew?!?

Nutiva Certified Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil

A "hippy product" came in the mail for me yesterday! And I LOVE it already. I ordered a huge vat of coconut oil from here. Why? Well, let me introduce you to the many hats of Mr. Coconut Oil:
1. Moisturizer (face, body, lips)
2. Conditioner (gets rid of dandruff)
3. Cooking Oil (It's REALLY healthy! I'm talkin' improves your metabolism and your thyroid function. What?!?)
4. Bath oil
5. Protectant and healing for cuts

The list goes on and on. But that sold me! And it smells yummy.

I have also been using several other "hippy" products:
1. Dr. Bronners Magic Soap - It's an all in one cleanser. It can also be used as a base for detergents. (He looks SUPER creepy. Do not let that deter you.) I can already tell that this one bottle I bought will last a long time. I use a little to wash my face and as a body soap. I might try washing my hair with it and use the coconut oil as a conditioner when my Dove runs out.

2. I also bought an all natural deodorant...I'm not a fan. I think it makes me smell worse. I'll have to keep experimenting with that area.

3. In the short week or so that I've been trying to eat more organic foods I have seen a noticeable difference. (My skinny jeans fit!) I feel better, healthier. And when I eat unhealthy foods I feel heavy and gross. Also, it doesn't taste that great! Yesterday I took a bite of Ramona's grilled cheese at a restaurant for lunch. Instant regret! I wanted to spit it out, it was so gross. That's the last time I'll order that for her.

I think that's all so far. My next projects are making my own laundry detergent and line drying our clothes. Also, I'm going to try cloth diapers...we'll see how that turns out!

5 comments:

Cathie said...

Have you read/learned anything yet about "raw" milk? Unpasturized. If so, let me know?

Mandy Chalman said...

I totally want to start buying raw milk. You can make yogurt and butter out of it too! I need to find a source close to home to buy it. I haven't done much research about it, but from what I've read so far, as long as you trust the source it's safe to drink.

Melanie said...

Give the natural deodorant some time, your body will actually adjust. It took a couple of years, but eventually, you'll only need to use a regular deodorant for weddings held in the summer heat. The benefits for out weigh the risks of breast cancer. Of everything I have tried- Tom's Lavender is the best one. Good luck and have fun! :)

Anonymous said...

Hi, Mandy. You're further along than I am on trying this stuff. I know that Ace Hardware has all of the stuff for making your own laundry detergent. You can order online and get it delivered to your nearest store. Good luck with everything! I know I feel better since I kicked out my other cleaners. Also, check with Whole Foods for a source of the raw milk.

Alyssa G said...

Raw milk is illegal to sell anywhere but off a dairy farm, so Whole Foods won't be selling it. However, there is a dairy I have been meaning to visit with my kiddos in Gtown. Maybe we should plan a playdate?