Friday, May 27, 2011

Phase 3: Homemade Green Products and Other Updates

Alright, are you ready for tons of updates? Here we go!

Me and a few friends got together the other night and made our own laundry soap. I have tried it a few times and it seems to work. I will test it on Chris' socks today. If they still smell, it's not strong enough...sorry Chris. Here is the recipe we made. The only change I made is that I only used one bar of Dr. Bronners soap. I'll keep you posted on the cleanliness of our clothes. I'll be line drying our clothes soon also...as soon as Chris builds the, uh...lines. Is that the right word?

Isn't it lovely? You only use 2 tablespoons per load!

Secondly, I made my own deodorant. For weeks I have been only using coconut oil...and then Texas summer hit. And, basically, I just got tired of smelling myself. (TMI?) So, I tried this recipe. So far, it totally works! I'll update you on how it holds up to the rest of the summer...or if Chris starts complaining.

It smells like coconuts!

And, are you ready for this??? I successfully baked bread!! WOO HOO! AND Chris and Ramona liked it! Here is the recipe I used. I, also, used her tip on substituting 2 cups of ground oats for 2 cups of wheat flower. I'm going to try my bread machine today and see if it makes a good loaf. Hopefully it works for those weeks when I don't have alot of bread kneading time.

They didn't rise very high. But they tasted GOOD.

And my CSA box came in! Here are a few meals we made with the veggies.

Tomato, Fresh Mozzarella and Basil Salad...YUM.

Homemade Pizza with Whole Wheat Crust and Veggies. I meant to take the picture before we ate it. But I was too hungry.

And now, an update on the kiddos! Max is growing up super fast. He just learned how to dance and he's got some moves! Mainly jazz hands and popping his torso up and down. He also might have said his first word. He says "Dada" all the time. But I'm convinced it's when Chris is in the room. Still no "mama". But he does say "nana" to Ramona and Nanna. Whatever, Max, I only gave you life!!! Take your sweet time learning "mama".

He is my little eater. He tries everything I put in front of him. I love it!

Ramona is super helpful with Max. We are finally to the point where they can play together and do for hours!! This is the dream, people! It is actually harder when Ramona is napping and Max is not. She is so helpful with him. She is constantly watching to make sure he doesn't crawl anywhere dangerous or put anything small in his mouth. Which is apparently his main goal in life.
She is totally into braids right now. It's so cute!

That's it for now. I'll hopefully have a garden update soon. Several of the plants are dead. It's TOO HOT! But we do have a mystery plant spreading around the garden. Hopefully it's not a weed. DANG! I need to go water it now. See ya later!

1 comment:

mandi said...

Hey! Thanks for the links! The pizza crust- I wanted to tell you that I now use the white whole wheat flour (I use King Arthur's). Did I mention that in my recipe? I can't remember if I ever updated it. Anyway, it makes for a less wheaty taste- which my husband prefers!