Sunday, April 17, 2011

Parents of the Year!

Chris and I went to IKEA today with my in-laws, the kids and Aunt Kala. We were there forever looking for organizational stuff for Kala's new apartment and our new place. So we were all taking turns watching the kids...BAD IDEA.

We got about half way through the store to the kitchen stuff when I glanced around and didn't see Ramona. Doug walked by with Max, no Ramona. Kala walks up and lets us know Tracy went to the bathroom...no Ramona. Uh oh. She's short and the place is crowded.

So we start back tracking when an IKEA employee asks if we are looking for someone. I kind of ignore her, because I'm so busy walking back to the last place I saw her. Then the employee says, "I think I have what you are looking for." I say, "A blond little girl?" Yep, she starts leading us back to the home office section of the store asking us stuff like what shoes is Ramona wearing? What clothes? And there she is sitting with a group on employees crying. Apparently they had asked her what her parents names were and she just kept saying "Mom and Dad." :( Poor thing!

She was super clingy for the next 30-45 minutes. I held her as we finished shopping and tried to comfort her.

Me: You're ok now, were you scared?
Ramona: Nods
Me: Were you afraid we weren't coming back for you?
Ramona: Nods
Me: Aw, little one, I will always come back for you!

Who knows how long she was looking for us! It could have been close to 10 minutes. We all thought the other was watching her. I received disapproving looks from the IKEA employees. Parents of the year, ladies and gentlemen!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

How awfully frightening for you all! Brings tears to me eyes. Thankful for the happy ending.

Unknown said...

AWWWWW! I know it was frightening, and am so relieved. But don't beat yourself up over it! I let out an "awww" out loud when I got to the part where they asked what your names were.