Wednesday, April 27, 2011

We're gettin' crunchy! (Phase 1)

In the past I have had fleeting thoughts of eating healthier. Usually as a way to loose some extra pounds. I have heard all the different reasons why to eat organic, raw, local, etc... But have never followed through. Mainly because I got overwhelmed thinking about all the different changes I would need to make, the cost to buy organic and the fact that my husband doesn't like most fruits and vegetables. So, I would just give up and go back to my unhealthy ways because really I wasn't eating THAT bad. People all over America are surviving on worse diets!

That was my attitude until recently when I read this blog. She presented this way of life from a Christian view. And everything clicked into place for me. I am abusing the body that God gave me by eating empty, man made food! Worse yet, I'm passing this onto my children! God provided everything that we needed on this earth and we are ruining it. That was it, I was hooked. I read her entire blog (like a total nerd/possible stalker). But I couldn't read the information fast enough. (BTW I will be totally embarrassed if she reads this and sees all my gushing.) I've since been to the library, other websites and researched some more at our local Sprouts and farmer's market.

Ramona loves our weekly trip to Sprouts.
She helps pick out and carry all the fruit!

What does all this mean? We, the Chalman family, are going organic, all natural, grass fed, free range, etc.. etc... in our own home at least. I can only do so much. This will be done slooowly so that I don't get overwhelmed. That's why this is just Phase 1. I'm blogging about this to keep myself accountable. I'm sure I will get frustrated and hit some snags along the way. But I don't want to give up! So help keep me motivated!

The future phases will hopefully include: making my own cleaning supplies, growing my own garden (if I can stop killing plants...I do NOT have a green thumb.), chickens?!? , recycling, cooking from scratch, and the list goes on and on.

And the most important is thing on my self improvement overhaul is that I want to show God's beautiful earth to my children. I want to turn off the T.V. and spend time with them outside (must overcome my bug phobia). I want to spend quality time with them when we are inside. And not just pass the time with play dates and naps until Chris gets home.

These are my lofty goals. God, help me tackle this!

1 comment:

Alyssa G said...

Do I hear cloth diapers in your future? Also I know a woman who raises and sells the most awesome grass fed beef ever!